Here is a one-pan meal that is loaded with veggies and protein! This recipe for Egg Roll in a Bowl is a staple weeknight dinner in my household. It is so quick and easy to make. You can have this prepped, cooked, and on the table in about 20 minutes.
Ingredients and Substitutions:
- Ground turkey – You can use any ground meat that you like such as ground beef or ground chicken. I recommend using a lean meat so that you don’t have to drain off any fat.
- Minced garlic cloves – Adjust the amount depending on your personal preference.
- Green cabbage and shredded carrots – I typically use fresh cabbage and carrots in this recipe because I feel like I get more for my money. If you are short on time, you can use a bag of coleslaw mix instead.
- Low-sodium soy sauce – Try this recipe with coconut aminos for an even lower-sodium option.
- Brown sugar – If you want to make this recipe sugar-free, just leave out the brown-sugar. You can also substitute coconut sugar or white sugar. Add more or less depending on your desired flavor. 1 Tbsp of brown sugar does not add a huge amount of sweetness.
- Chili garlic sauce – This adds the heat! If you like things spicy, add more. My husband is not into spicy foods, so I usually add a tsp or less. You can find chili garlic sauce in the Asian food section next to the soy sauce usually. If you don’t have any on hand, you can try using sriracha instead.
- Sesame oil – Gives the dish a nutty flavor that makes it taste like a traditional egg roll. I don’t recommend substituting anything for the sesame oil, because you will lose that traditional flavor.
How to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl:
This recipe cooks all together in one pan, so clean up is a breeze. Check out this video to see how to make it!
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think in the comments below! 🙂
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1.5 lbs ground turkey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small head of green cabbage shredded
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce more or less to taste
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned and crumbled.
- Add shredded cabbage and cook for 3-5 minutes until cabbage is slightly softened. Next, add shredded carrot and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- While cabbage is cooking, mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl until combined. Add to cabbage and ground turkey mixture.
- Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until cabbage is tender. Serve immediately and enjoy!