I am always on the look out for easy, vegetable side dishes that I can serve with dinner throughout the week. This Small Batch Broccoli Crunch Salad has become my go-to! It is easy, flavorful, and I love the crunchy texture. It pairs well with any type of chicken, salmon, or beef main course.
There are a ton of broccoli salad recipes out there, but my problem is they usually make enough to feed a small army. Probably because this is a great side dish to bring to a party or a barbecue! However, sometimes I just want to make it for the two of us. This is where the small batch version of broccoli crunch salad comes in handy 🙂
Ingredients and Substitutions:
- Broccoli – I like to dice my broccoli into florets that are about 1/4-inch in size. The broccoli crunch salad looks so pretty if you are able to dice up everything into similar-size pieces!
- Red onion – This is a signature ingredient in any broccoli salad. If you are worried about the harsh bite of the red onion, see my “Sizzling Tip” below!
- Dried Cranberries – Feel free to use cranberries, craisins, raisins, or cherries, whichever you prefer/have on hand!
- Bacon bits – I use pre-packaged bacon bits to save time and $$, however you can cook a few slices of bacon and crumble it to use in this broccoli crunch salad.
- Sunflower seed kernels – I use roasted and salted sunflower seed kernels. You could also use roasted pepitas.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – Use whatever type of cheese you prefer. I like to use a block of cheddar and shred it for the best texture. White or yellow cheddar is a pretty contrast to the green broccoli!
- Mayonnaise – I like to use olive oil or avocado oil mayonnaise. Use whichever kind you prefer.
- Granulated sugar – This adds a little sweetness and cuts the tanginess of the dressing.
- White vinegar – Thins out the dressing and gives it a tangy, delicious taste. Add more or less based on how thick/thin you want your dressing.
How to make Broccoli Crunch Salad:
Mix broccoli, diced red onion, dried cranberries, bacon bits, sunflower seed kernels, and shredded cheddar cheese in a medium bowl.
In a small bowl, mix together dressing ingredients until well combined and sugar is dissolved. Pour dressing on top of broccoli mixture and toss to combine.
Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to come together. Enjoy!
To reduce the harsh bite of the red onion, dice it finely then soak it in a bowl of cold water for about 20 minutes. When you are ready to add it to the broccoli crunch salad, drain the water and dry the onion thoroughly. Then, incorporate it as listed in the recipe.
Broccoli Crunch Salad (Small Batch)
- 1 medium head of broccoli, diced into small uniform pieces
- ⅓ cup diced red onion
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅛ cup bacon bits
- ¼ cup sunflower seed kernels
- ⅓ cup shredded cheddar cheese
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- Mix broccoli, diced red onion, dried cranberries, bacon bits, sunflower seed kernels, and shredded cheddar cheese in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together dressing ingredients until well combined and sugar is dissolved. Pour dressing on top of broccoli mixture and toss to combine.
- Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to come together. Enjoy!