Am I the only one that thinks popcorn is one of the best snacks? It’s perfect to crunch on while watching a movie at night, running errands, or working in the office. While you can buy the microwave variety, it tastes so much fresher if you pop your own kernels. Queue this recipe for Instant Pot Popcorn! 😊
Many people don’t realize that popcorn is a whole grain. A serving (3 cups) of popped popcorn provides almost 4 grams of fiber! It is also relatively low in calories and fat. When you make it yourself, you can add exactly what you want, and leave out the stuff you don’t want.
National Popcorn Day is 1/19/22, so let’s celebrate this yummy snack option by making Instant Pot Popcorn! Read on for more nutrition information and fun ideas on what to do with your freshly popped popcorn.
Is popcorn gluten free?
Yes! Popcorn is gluten free. It is simply a corn kernel, which does not contain any wheat protein.
Is popcorn vegan?
Yes! By itself, popcorn is completely vegan. This version of Instant Pot Popcorn is cooked in coconut oil, which can be used as a vegan substitute for butter. As you can see, popcorn is suitable for a variety of dietary restrictions including gluten-free, vegan, and low-sodium.
What can I make with Instant Pot Popcorn?
If you are looking for a recipe to incorporate your freshly popped popcorn in, try out my recipe for Popcorn Trail Mix. It’s totally versatile and great for an on-the-go snack.
There are also a ton of recipes out there for flavored popcorn, such as Vanilla Honey Salted Caramel Popcorn and Cookies and Cream Popcorn.
You could also make non-food items such as Popcorn Garland, or even a Popcorn Bird Feeder!! How cool is that!
Instant Pot Popcorn
- instant pot
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- Set instant pot to sauté mode. Preheat to "high" and add in coconut oil.
- Place 2-3 kernels in the pot while the coconut oil is melting.
- Once one of the kernels pops, toss in the 1/3 cup of kernels and place a glass lid over the top.
- Once about 2/3 of the popcorn is popped, turn off the instant pot. If you get a burn notice, it will be ok. The instant pot will shut itself off, but the kernels will continue to pop using the residual heat without burning.
- Shake gently to ensure all kernels are popped. Pour into a bowl, top with your favorite toppings (melted butter, seasoned salt, Mrs. Dash), and enjoy!